What’s the first step?
If you are a parent wanting to know more about the study, please contact the research site nearest to where you live. There are three ImagingDMD sites where subjects are enrolled:
- Gainesville, Florida [DMD consent form] [Control consent form] [Biological Samples consent form]
- Portland, Oregon
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania [DMD consent form] [Control consent form]
The contact information for all three sites appears to the right.
A research coordinator will talk to you about your son’s medical condition to determine if he is eligible to participate. Depending on the things you tell her about your son and the questions you ask, she may ask you some questions about your son. Some of her questions might be:
What are his medical symptoms? What are his physical (body) problems? Does he take any medication? Has he been diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy? Does he have any behavior issues? Is there any family history of Muscular Dystrophy? Has your son ever had an MRI?
Your answers to her questions and other information that you may provide will determine if your son might be a candidate for this research project.
Is my son eligible?
The following General Inclusion Criteria* offers the essential factors that determine if a boy is eligible for this study. It is not a complete list. Each potential participant who satisfies these general guidelines will be further screened by one of our research coordinators.
To be included, each participant must be:
- Ambulatory and non-ambulatory male between 5 and 18 years of age.
- Diagnosed with DMD.
- Onset of symptoms before age five.
- Subjects will not be excluded based on corticosteroid treatment.
The following General Exclusion Criteria* indicates the most significant factors why a boy who satisfies the above "inclusion" may be ineligible for the study. Once again, a research coordinator will discuss these factors further during a telephone screening.
A boy will be excluded for these reasons:
- Contraindication to an MRI examination.
- Individuals with unstable medical problems.
- Not able to cooperate during testing or have cognitive deficits.
- A secondary condition that may impact muscle metabolism, muscle function or functional ability (i.e. cerebral palsy, endocrine disorders, and mitochondrial disease) will also be excluded.
If your son is Eligible
If the research coordinator says your son meets the inclusion criteria, a telephone screening will be completed and potential dates for your son’s first visit will be discussed. The next step will involve providing you a password for the "Parent Login" section of this website and scheduling your travel arrangements. We look forward to meeting you and your son!
*Disclaimer: These are only general guidelines for inclusion in the study. A site coordinator will go into more detail with each individual.